Something To Tell You

Friday 30 October 2009




A general if not slightly generic life rule I've been trying to stick to recently. It's kinda hard to follow.

People worry far too much, especially people attempting to break into the art and design world, there's such a strive to be original. Naturally I'm one of them.

Earlier this week we started what is known as "The London Project." (Yeah, obviously I've started uni, a few weeks ago in fact, but I'll get into that another time.) The aim is to do anything related to the Thames, and I mean pretty loosely. That's right, we can basically do anything.

Before we set out to walk to the Thames the other day, our illustration tutor Rachel Cattle gave us a little briefing on drawing, naturally with a few hand outs. The final one simply had a medium length quote, all in block capitals, which read:

"Nothing is original.

Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don't bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it.

In any case always remember what Jon Lu Goddard said:

"It's not where you take things from - It's where you take them to" "

- Jim Jarmusch

Now I don't condone stealing artwork, but as I read this I still thought to myself,

my god,

he's right.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh man I'm having this same problem lately about worrying whether my work is insightful enough or original enough. I'm in my first year of a fine art degree and I worry so friggin' much! We're all there to learn, yet I feel like everyone's better?
    I love that quote though. I may have to note that down...or "steal" it as it suggests. Haha. =]

    ReplyDelete