Objects of Undesire

Monday 7 February 2011



This has been a long time coming.

Here is the redux of that project I was talking about a few posts ago, part 1 of a 3 part project. We simply had to illustrate 4 personal annoyances.
My 4 things, were quite hard to muster,
but I dug deep into that unhappy place and pulled something out.

Now I've never wanted to use this blog as a platform for whining, but this project basically dictates me to do so. Hey, at least my mostly ashamedly trivial persecutions are illustrated. Here goes:

No.1: Sleep


I have a love hate relationship with sleep, there are some times when I just can't get enough of it, but sadly most the time I dislike the whole idea. I'm no insomniac, I have no problem sleeping, my problem is that I've somehow grown up with the mentality that when I'm sleeping I could be doing something else, so I like to stay awake for as long as possible.
I have chronic sleep guilt.

No.2: 'Spelling Nazis' who aren't 'Grammar Nazis' and vice versa


There's something that just infuriates me when people correct my spelling whilst simultaneously using incorrect grammar. The moments when this specifically happen are no doubt rare, but they do happen. Still there are people who insist on pointing out your spelling/grammar mistakes, at times with an annoying sense of 1-upmanship, even though they really didn't need to, and even though they themselves get things wrong all the time.

If you're going to constantly correct me on an aspect of the English language, please at least try to be constant with yours. And with a line like that, maybe I'm a hypocrite? In retrospect it does sound very silly asking only people perfect at speaking English to correct me when I'm wrong.

Overall I think the crux of this problem is I don't like being wrong, which is a problem for someone who gets things wrong all the goddamn time. I don't think I've had one day where I haven't said something that's left fact in fits of laughter or rage.
I just don't enjoy being corrected by someone who's wrong.

No.3: Unnecessary narrow passage blockers


I must point out that it's still possible to maintain conversation whilst walking in single file. To the offenders out there, you do realise that by doing this you leave me only 3 routes of passage, all of which are faux pas. (4 if you happen to be a high jumping star with catlike reflexes)

No.4: When people tell you to do things... that you're already doing


If this happens to you, you'll get it.

Talking to my friends recently, it's occurred to me that there's a severe lack of work in progress on this blog. Seeing as this project really evolved over time, this seems to be the ideal time to start showing this sort of work again. So, here, here & here are some of the initial drawings that I did for this project, looking at them, you can see why I started them again...

No comments:

Post a Comment